The English Version is attached after the Chinese Version
- 推廣公平貿易(fair trade)
- 減少超時工作，推廣生活工作平衡(work-life balance)
The Election Platform of Roy Tam
1. Tackle problems of global warming and adverse climate change
Global warming and adverse climate change are closely related to the lifestyle of citizens. Convince the government to regulate by law the emission of carbon dioxide from power plants, expedite the progress of development of renewable energy resources and in the course of developing economy, promote energy saving with concerted effort.
2. Promote better town planning
Due to the government’s lack of proper control over property developers, walled building effect is threatening the good health and wellbeing of the public. Convince the government to regulate the distance between adjacent building blocks and the density of building blocks and encourage the creation of green roofs on buildings to lower the urban temperature during the hot summer.
3. Regulate light pollution
There is massive abuse of spotlights in retails shops and on outdoor advertisements at buildings. This not only wastes electricity, but also affects local residents and pedestrians. Convince the government to regulate the intensity and hours of use of the lighting in retails shops and on outdoor advertisements.
4. Develop a diverse economy and look for green business opportunities
In order to reduce unemployment among the grass roots while overrelying on knowledge-based finance industry, convince the government to develop a more broad based economy through measures such as the promotion of ecology tourism, the recycling business, organic farming and the agricultural products market.
5. Care for animals
Encourage the government to establish an independent department to investigate cases of cruelty to animals, increase the allocation of resources to enforce relevant laws and impose heavier penalties on offenders of cruelty to animals.
6. Formulate long-term policy for better air quality
The governments of Hong Kong and Guangdong Province signed a mutual recognition agreement for regulating air quality and promised to reduce the releasing amount of main pollutants below the level of 1997 by 2010. However it is obvious that under current policy these targets will not be met. Encourage both governments to have serious discussion and to implement concrete policies that will achieve better air quality targets beyond 2010.
7. Promote more awareness of environmental protection in business sectors
Encourage the government to enforce by law the provision of the post of at least one Director of Environment at each listed company for the purpose of controlling, monitoring, and auditing the company’s performance on environmental protection.
8. Strengthen school education on environmental protection
Convince the government to allocate resources for the establishment of a permanent teaching post in environmental studies at each school so that education on environmental protection and natural science can be implemented more systematically.
Roy Tam Hoi Pong has the following recommendations in respect of different policy areas:
- Support the implementation of small class teaching (SCT) at primary and secondary schools expeditiously.
- Temporarily stop the increase to places for associate degree programmes while problem of articulation exist.
- Promote systematically the education on environmental protection in primary and secondary schools, including the establishment of a permanent teaching post in environmental protection enhancement for each school.
- Maintain the quality of tertiary education by allocating resources for increased number of university students from the 3-3-4 new academic structure for senior secondary and higher education.
- The governments of Hong Kong and Guangdong Province signed a mutual agreement for regulating air quality and promised to reduce the amount of main pollutants below the level of 1997 by 2010. However, considering the current situation of Hong Kong, the reduction of some pollutants is still far from target. Both parties should work hard to meet the target.
- Both governments should start to discuss the target with time frame and concrete policies in regulating air quality after 2010.
- Regulate by law the amount of carbon dioxide emission from power plants and expedite the progress of development of renewable energy resources in order to relieve the problem of global warming and adverse climate change.
- Regulate by law the problem of light pollution caused by abuse use of spotlights for advertisement boards at retails shops or outside building structures.
- Introduce proper control of genetically modified foods and respect the public’s right to know.
- Avoid over reliance on knowledge-based industries such as the financial industry and reduce unemployment of grassroots class by developing a more broad based economic model.
- Allocate funds to business chambers of different industries to fund studies on doing businesses in a more environmentally friendly way.
- Develop and promote local ecology tourism.
- Develop local organic farms and agricultural products market.
- Promote fair trade.
- Support universal suffrage for election of the Chief Executive in 2012.
- Abolish gradually the seats for functional constituencies in Legislative Council and introduce universal sufferage for LegCo by 2016.
- Stop further expansion of the Accountability System and increase transparency in selection of candidates and determination of remuneration levels (including Secretaries, Deputy Secretaries and Political Assistants).
- Reduce the density and number of building blocks in urban areas and subsidize the greening of rooftops.
- Review building development projects in areas with serious walled building problems.
- Revise the Building Ordinance to regulate the distance between adjacent building blocks.
- Ensure citizens have the right to enjoy sunlight at day time as recommended by World Health Organization.
- Preserve community network and cultural heritage during urban renewal.
- Oppose the overdevelopment of private estates catering for the very rich.
- Re-introduce the Home Ownership Scheme so that the general public can have one more option in purchasing flats.
- Review the system for pre-sale consents for residential units and increase the transparency in the sales of flats, including price lists, price of each residential unit and usable floor areas.
- Conduct feasibility studies on electronic road pricing scheme.
- Promote the use of bicycles at new towns and provide sufficient cycle paths.
- Object to the construction of a third runway at the airport.
- Re-organize bus routes for more effective use of roads.
- Object to construction of HK-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge not only because of its high cost, but also the impact on air pollution due to large increase in vehicle mileage.
- Fight for paid paternity leave for male employees.
- Equal public holiday entitlements for office and blue collar workers,.
- Reduce overtime work and promote work-life balance.
9. Animals Care
- Have police allocate dedicated resources to investigate cases of cruelty to animals and strengthen enforcement of laws.
- Award heavier penalties to offenders in cruelty to animals cases.
- Educate the public to think seriously before acquiring pets and to understand that keeping a pet is a life long commitment.